Skip to main content

Recipes: Great FOOD + a Beautiful ROOM

What are two things we all love??  Tasty FOOD and pretty ROOMS.  Well, because of this, I decided to start  this new series.  For the 'food' part, I have invited the talented Cassie, a food blogger from CassieCraves to share one of her awesome, melt-in-your-mouth recipes.  After wards, I will come in for the 'room' part- I'll share a 'recipe' for a room design where I could picture myself enjoying the yummy meal. 



Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese
...an inviting, seasonal version of the classic comfort food.


1 butternut squash

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound macaroni pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1.       Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds, and place face-down in a large roasting pan. Add about 1 inch of water. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes, or until squash is tender. Don’t turn off the oven.
2.       While the squash is still warm, remove from peel and place in a blender. Add cream cheese and puree until mixture is smooth.
3.       Cook pasta to al dente according to directions on package in boiling salted water; drain.
4.       Meanwhile, heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Stir in butternut squash/cream cheese mixture and shredded cheddar. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
5.       Add cheese sauce to pasta. Pour into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
6.       In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, sage, and thyme leaves; stir in butter. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni and cheese.
7.       Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until breadcrumb topping is browned. Serve immediately.

*****************************

Ooh...mac & cheese with butternut squash and cream cheese - that's what I'm talking about!  I could really see myself eating this on a dreary winter day, curled up in a corner of the room in a big comfy chair with my feet tossed up. 

When I began putting this design together with butternut mac & cheese in mind, the design went masculine, but still with class and a little femininity. 

Take a look,



Recipe to create this room:

 First mix in a graphic rug, then sink into this chair, it's comfy yet still tailored and beautiful. 
Mix in a leather ottoman with all the fabrics in the space for a masculine feel.  Add a some nailhead for extra flavor.
 Sprinkle in a little bit of bling-bling with this antiqued mirror glass top & gold leafed tables.  Pull out the table underneath when extra surfaces are needed.
Make sure you can see your butternut mac & cheese with this rust finish and pebble silk shade lamp.  Turn on when eating or reading.  Turn off when sleeping:)
Next, add art, a throw, and pillows & fabrics for draperies etc. for added character.
To finish off your room, sprinkle in your favorite accessories, books, and fresh flowers.  Enjoy!


***********************************

Thanks Cassie, for helping me out with this post!  Make sure you go check out her blog. I bet you won't leave it without 'pinning' at least one recipe! 


If you blog about food and would like to be apart of this series, email me!


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this fun opportunity, Melissa! I LOVE the room you've designed around my recipe -- it's gorgeous and I totally want to live there. This was so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them!

Popular posts from this blog

How to Accessorize an End Table or Nightstand

Stuck on how to accessorize an end table or nightstand?  There are so many ways to style/accessorize a table, and really there are no rules. However, if you aren't sure where to begin below is a list of basic items to use that you can't go wrong with: *A lamp * Artwork/mirror *Books * Floral/branches In addition, here are a few more accessorizing tips to get you on your way: Use items of varied heights to keep the eye moving.  Have something short, something medium, and something tall.  Use stacked books to add height if needed. Meredith Heron Layer your accessories.  Don't be afraid to let your lamp cover a portion of the artwork. via                                                                   Group differently shaped items together.  If everything is square/rectangle it just looks boring. via Add pops of color. Elle Decor Use unique items that mean something to you, such as something purchased from a tri

My Favorite Way to Hide Toys in My Family Room

We were is desperate need of something to hide toys in our family room.  In addition, I really needed something to go along the back our loveseat.  Below, is basically the view you get when you walk into our home.  I didn't want people to walk in & the first thing they see is the bare back of our loveseat. One day, I was meandering around TJ Maxx & spotted this cute storage ottoman.  Right away, I knew it needed to come home with me! It has proved to be a fantastic purchase for us!  My kids can easily get toys in & out of it.  It is also a very convenient place to sit & put your shoes on before heading out the door.  In addition, it can easily be moved around to the main sitting area if extra seating is ever needed. You KNOW you have made a good purchase when your husband has said TWICE, "Melissa, buying that ottoman was a really good idea."  Need some other ideas on how to hide toys?   Cute baskets/boxes , wall pockets (for books

Project Reveal: Church Foyer Makeover

I apologize for being a little MIA on this blog lately!  Life has been busy lately working with local clients, my family visiting, & working on our newly purchased home. Recently, I completed a project that I would like to share.  A local church hired me to help them redecorate their foyer area.  They wanted something new, fresh & modern that would go along with the existing paint, flooring, and lighting. Here are the BEFORE photos: This is what it looks like now! Custom Welcome/Reception Desk A special thanks to Palmetto Street Church of God for allowing me the privilege to help make their foyer shine! Photography by the wonderful  Liz Odom .  If you would like  help designing your home or business visit my website !